Labels

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

diybench, Built-in vs Self-standing



When I embarked on the mission of developing my optimum workbench one of the early questions was whether to make my workbench built-in or self-standing.  I wanted benches in both my garage and shop each of which presented a different set of circumstances.  In the process of answering this question I found several considerations.  Here are those considerations presented in a pros & cons format followed by a comparison of tradeoffs and a conclusion.
                                                          Garage Bench 3' x 20', built-in.
Built-in
Pros
Usually cheaper.  Wall brackets are cheaper than spanning brackets.  In addition at each point you support with a wall bracket you save the cost of a leg.
The bigger the bench the bigger this cost advantage.
Cons
Built in means you can’t move it. 
Built in benches usually go with the house when you sell.  An exception can be made in the contract allowing you to keep the bench but the reality of house deals is that if the buyer takes a fancy to your bench his offer will include it going with the house.  You can avoid this also by removing the bench before showing the house, but then where do you store the bench?
A built in bench is usually made to a specific length to fit the space available.  It is therefore unique and not readily adaptable to a new location without alterations.
                                                       Three shop benches, self-standing.
Self-standing
Pros
Moves easily to a new location that suits the project at hand.
Allows flexibility of work shop layout to suit changing projects.
It is furniture.  When you move it goes with you.
Cons
Costs more.
Comparison of Tradeoffs
If you don’t intend to ever move the bench build-in and save on cost.
The bigger the bench the better the bargain for built-in.
If flexibility of your shop layout is important make your benches self-standing.
In my work shop flexibility is important so I can change my layout to suit my current project.   In my garage my work space is defined by the location of my cars.  There is clearly only one place that a work bench will fit so a built-in bench made sense.  Of course I could move the cars out in the driveway to make room for benches but that raises the question, for how long?  If the answer is a short time I find I am better off using saw horses and a piece of plywood for a temporary bench.
Conclusion
If the location of your bench is not optional a built-in bench is cheaper.
If flexibility of layout is important, make your benches self-standing.
For more go to diybench.com


 

No comments:

Post a Comment